Monday, February 26, 2007

Using student monitors

By Jennifer Wallace - Anhui University of Technology, China

I treat the monitor as the class manager/administrator, and expect them to work FOR me. I've only been teaching here a year but see great potential for using this person in the class! We also have a study monitor (university classes) who I appreciate having doing the running round chasing up people who're not handing in work on time. I think as ever, it would have been wonderful if someone could have pointed this out a year ago!

My native-speaker-more-experienced-colleague regularly takes his monitors out for meals to get feedback, and as the relationship's got established it's worked productively - both ways.

And in the UK student feedback on teacher performance is routinely included in the monitoring of courses - so it is not so different.

No comments: